Friday 5 October 2012

Killing Them Softly (2012)

I have always been keen to watch movies, good ones or much awaited ones, on the very first day of their release. I like to watch the very first show. I give myself a false sense of superiority and gain some enjoyment seeing a film before anyone else. Sometimes not only do I get to experience the pleasure of watching the film before others, but I also get to tell the ones who didn't show much interest to begin with that there was a film they could watch. A good film. A film to look out for. This is one of those films.


A quick plot review makes it sound like one of the many post-Scorsese gangster tales which involve a lot of well written moderately profound dialogue and some stylized violence. Here's the IMDB blurb Jackie Cogan is a professional enforcer who investigates a heist that went down during a mob-protected poker game. 

I went in expecting a heist gone wrong. I expected Brad Pitt to be the stone cold ruthless assassin type, great for action sequences imparting wisdom in forty words and two pop culture references. I expected Ray Liotta to be a mob boss getting riled up and spitting out his words at the camera.

A few of my wishes came true. What I truly witnessed was an allegorical tale of the recession. An economy supported by gambling breaks down. Troops are sent in to rectify the situation and bring the economy back to its feet. But the troops aren't as effective as expected. Beneath a layer of cool criminal speak lies an essay on America and the events that unfolded during the time period of the 2008 presidential campaigns.

What enhances the film and its core idea are the writing, the direction and the cinematography. The cinematography is superb. I wouldn't be surprised if the cinematographer got a nod come Oscar season.  A few scenes stand out in my head; a character injects himself with heroin, a character gets shot. The writing and the direction are intelligent and well paced. The acting is top notch. Brad Pitt is stellar as usual and Scoot McNairy gives an authentic performance.


I had one complaint. I greatly admire the use of allegory in film. But sometimes the allegorical elements are too blunt. District 9 was subtle with its references to apartheid. This film is just too ham fisted with the direction at a few points. The allegory is not there for us to pick up. It's hammered home, repeatedly. And that ticks me off, a little.

All in all a good film. One of the better ones of this year. The film  has the potential to remain a good film or to be hyped as a great film as it deals with issues close to America (remember The Hurt Locker? Neither do I).


IMDB Rating: 7.3/10

My Rating: 7.5/10

Watch it in the theater? Yeah, it's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment