Saturday 22 September 2012

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

Moonrise Kingdom was released over two months ago in the United States. I waited in anticipation for a film that was touted to be the best film of the summer. But I'd forgotten that I lived in India. I would be lucky to see a film that did not rely on explosions to fuel its plot forward. I was relieved to find out yesterday that it had finally arrived to cinemas in India and rushed to watch one of the first shows.



The story takes place on an island; a rustic, colourful setting that accentuates the story and its charm. The plot begins with a boy running away from his summer camp and a girl fleeing from her family. We find out that they have been corresponding for a year and this escape has been planned. A rescue party  comprising of the girl's parents, a policeman, the camp's scoutmaster and his scouts fan out and search for them. Hilarity and romance ensue. I do not want to reveal any more of the plot as I'm afraid that it will harm your viewing experience.

The adults are played by a star studded cast, the sort of cast only a summer superhero movie could afford. Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Bruce Willis, Tilda Swinton, Frances McDormand and Harvey Keitel. The above line represents millions of dollars worth of acting power and billions of dollars worth of entertainment value. But you'll forget all of those people as soon as you see the young lovers. Played brilliantly by Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman the two young protagonists run the show. Their characters are so well written that you wish to know what happens to them a few years down the line. And the actors playing them are such natural actors that you wish to know what happens to them a few years down the line (and you hope that they don't turn into Lindsay Lohan).


Everything else about this film is as exceptional as the acting and the writing. The camera-work and the director's use of colours and symmetry add a warmth and charm to the film which makes everything seem natural and true. Moments of childishness rather than bringing out the jaded adult bring out the carefree playfulness in us. I even found myself wishing that I had run away with camping equipment as a kid. Sam, the boy scout, puts established badasses like Han Solo to shame by virtue of sheer ballsiness. And the music. It just ties the film together. Quirky and zany, the music is simple and effective. If I had to sum up the film in one word it would be "charming". The charm of the film lies with its story and characters and the way it all flows seamlessly. Seriously, I would not change a single thing about this film. I'm looking forward to viewing more of Wes Anderson's work.

P.S. - My new favourite cinema theatre is PVR Cinemas at Phoenix (Pune). Nine screens and tasty snacks, what more do you need?



IMDB Rating: 8.3/10

My Rating: 9/10

Worth going to the theatre for: Yes, definitely yes!

5 comments:

  1. Well you boys sure make it sound like a must watch :) Can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  2. My one stop advice center for movies from now on! :)

    @Ketan and Shom ... I like the feel of the blog
    @Ketan... I can feel your PUNny writing in here..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's 'cos Ketan didn't write this one. I did. Keep checking out the blog.

      Delete
  3. you know what id say: "BETAAAAAA!!!!! KYA KHATRAA HAI!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete